Beginning in April 2019, Square Medical Group (SMG) will provide a structured and evidence-based Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) five days per week at both its Weymouth, MA location (Watertown coming soon). Patients will be expected to attend no less than three (3) times per week, with 5-day per week programming allowing for weekly flexibility in scheduling and individual counseling.
In addition to IOP group counseling, SMG will provide the following inclusive services:
- One (1) 45-minute individual counseling session with a qualified clinician per week (CADC, LADC or LCSW).
- One (1) weekly family support meeting facilitated by a qualified clinician (CADC, LADC, LCSW or LMFT)
SMG specializes in providing patients with a broad continuum of fully- integrated health services and as such, patients may also receive the following services, based on their needs, during the course of their IOP participation:
- Comprehensive biopsychosocial assessments and pre-screenings
- Behavioral health/mental health services through an SMG provider
- Tobacco Cessation
- Medication-Assisted Treatment or other pharmacological services through an SMG prescriber.
- Primary care or other specialty care through an SMG Provider.
- Urine Toxicology and Breathalyzer screenings (at least weekly).
- Case Management services
Intensive Outpatient Treatment Program Curriculum
After a careful selection process, Square Medical Group has selected the Matrix Model – Intensive Outpatient Drug and Alcohol Program to serve as the core curriculum for all patients entering into IOP.
Originally developed for stimulant-use disorders, several randomized controlled trials over the past 20 years have demonstrated that the Matrix Model is effective at reducing substance misuse and associated risky behaviors. The Matrix Model was the subject of a SAMHSA CSAT-funded multi-site study between 1998-2002 which determined that Matrix had superior treatment responses versus treatment as usual.
The Matrix Model is a recommended evidence-based practice in “SAMHSA’s Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) #47 Substance Abuse: Clinical Issues in Intensive Outpatient Treatment” and is listed under the SAMHSA National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs & Practices (NREPP). In addition, PubMed lists a study recently done proving the efficacy of the Matrix Model with Opioid-Use Disorders (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27940387).
The organizing principles of the Matrix Model include:
- Highly Structured and Manualized program originally designed to be 16-weeks long.
- Teaches information and cognitive-behavioral concepts
- Provides reinforcement towards positive behavior changes
- Provides corrective feedback when necessary
- Introduces and encourages self-help participation (12-Step, SMART, others)
- Uses urinalysis and other methods to monitor drug use
- Establishes positive, collaborative relationships with patients
- Educates family members about SUDs, overdose prevention, and family supports
- Former clients can be used as peer mentors (co-leaders)
- Ability to work with relapses as they occur, preventing higher levels of care
- Motivational Interviewing techniques are encouraged to meet the person where are in the stages of change.
- Contingency Management (incentives) can be used as applicable
- Relapse Prevention focus
- Early recovery groups
- Integrates well (does not conflict) with MAT and psychotropic approaches to treatment
- Strong family education component
Staff Training, Competency and Program Fidelity
Square Medical Group will use all of the available training resources offered through published manuals including the:
- Therapists Manual and Training Guide
- Handouts, Videos and workbooks for patient use
- Additional training through the Matrix Institute (www.matrixinstitute.org)
- Clinical fidelity can be retained at all times even if patients receive less than the full 16-week course (structural fidelity)
- Clinical Supervision at least weekly
- Clinical Supervisors are responsible for:
- Ensuring fidelity to the model
- Training of new clinicians
- Voluntary program certification is available through the Matrix Institute
For more information on the Matrix Model, please see the following resources: