What is TMS?
- TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) is an FDA approved treatment for patients that have been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and are considered treatment-resistant.
- Treatment-resistant patients have unsuccessfully tried to treat their depression with at least:
- 4 different antidepressants without success, or
- 2 antidepressants from different classes (SSRIs SNRI, MAOI, etc.) that caused intolerable side-effects
- TMS is an alternative to medication because it does not cause side effects associated with most medication such as weight gain, low libido, or erectile dysfunction.
- TMS does not require anesthesia or injections and has no lasting side effects
- TMS is covered by Medicare and most private insurance companies
How TMS works
- We use a Brainsway deep TMS machine that uses an innovate helmet equipped with an H1 coil that generates magnetic field pulses.
- Since people with depression often have low-neuron activity in the prefrontal cortex, the dTMS helmet is strategically placed over this area of the patient’s brain to allow the magnetic pulses to target and influence neuron activity.
- Most patients (and their friends and family) see improvements in mood within the first 3-5 weeks of treatment!
- “it’s like TMS wiped away the cloud that was my depression” – K.D. TMS patient
For more information about what is TMS therapy, call us at 617.916.5069.